This Gardening Life

Friday, March 20, 2009

Kalanchoe, again

On a very rainy day last year the Fullerton Arboretum had a cactus and succulent show. Cold and wet were no match for my current zeal for something new for the garden. One of my purchases was a Kalanchoe Gastonis bonnieri
or Donkey Ear Kalanchoe. I potted it up with another variety of Kalanchoe and a variegated Aeonium. It grew to about 4 ft. tall, including the flower stalk and gave me several plantlets from the tips of the main leaves, as seen at the left.


Once the plantlets have a bit of root coming from the base they are easily pulled off the mother plant to be potted up on their own.
Here is one that I planted a couple of months ago.

There were several others that I added to pots here and there around the garden, but this one, sharing space on a partly shaded iron rack with some cactus I bought at the 99 cent store seems to be doing the best. It's dressed with this very cool black pea sized stone I got from Lowe's last year. The garden guy told me they ordered it by mistake. I bought 10 bags.





Next project is to try to grow some from seed. Patience is a gardener's friend so I resisted snipping off the flower heads in hopes of a future bounty of Donkey Ears. Hee Haw.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home