This Gardening Life

Monday, April 27, 2009

Hope Springs Eternal...

..in the human breast, said Alexander Pope.

He must have been a gardener.

This scrawny excuse for a lilac bush was planted in the front of Casa Grande more than 5 years ago. I've lost count of the springs I have waited patiently for a bloom or two, hoping for a whiff of that lovely and nostalgic scent known to all who have lived in a climate with a winter freeze. April is the cruelest month.

Alas! Alack!
And Eureka! My sorely tried patience has been richly rewarded. Meager though these blooms may be, the smell is one and the same of my childhood spent in a colder climate....not that I want to go back there, no, no. The scent of these few blooms will suffice.

Next year....

Hope springs eternal in the human breast.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Outstanding! Could it be finally blooming because we actually had some hard freeze a few nights this winter?

    By Blogger Legend in my own mind, at 2:17 PM  

  • Since I took these photos, there have been a few more blooms. I dug up the area a bit to plant more iris. Not sure about the freeze, but maybe.

    By Blogger Barbara, at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home